Sunday 24 January 2016

Last week when I took the shroud off I saw plenty of the holes on the inner wing and shroud that didn't line up very well on the driver (off-side) of the car so I marked them.  When I removed the shroud I filed them back.  When I replaced the shroud I had a little bit of a heart attack because the near side holes didn't line up (they did before, perfectly) and the off-side now lined up with the original inner wing holes perfectly.  Bloody hell, I dread to think what the wing position and dreaded door gap is going to be now.  














































Naturally I started thinking about everything again and had a bit of a brain wave, why not fit the rear axel and wheels to see if the wheel position is good within the wings?  So I sat down last Sunday evening and looked through the Ahead 4 Healeys online catalogue for all the bits I'll need.  I was pleasantly surprised when I read the details for the clamps and then horrified when I took a second look and saw the small detail about BN1- BN1.221535 and realised that my bill was going to be significantly more.




















Now at about £29 plus tax and postage I was looking at the best part of £150 which when compared to the cost of the other U Bolts was very alarming.  So whilst moaning to myself very loudly I decided to see why this was the case.  I started by writing an email to AH4H to ask why there was such a price difference.  Then I decided to look back through my photos of the car when I stripped it down; it was so long ago now I couldn't remember what that area was like.























I then realised that they were completely different to the regular U bolt shape.  I couldn't remember taking the axel off and had a horrible feeling that I may have got heavy with the angle grinder and just cut the brackets to pieces.  Even if I hadn't done that I was worried that the things were just too worn to be re-used.  I was worried.  I wrote a second email to AH4H to explain that I'd been a silly billy.

On Tuesday evening I managed to get to my In-laws and rummage around in the shed.  I couldn't believe my luck when I saw the springs which contained the clamps and the aluminium spaces (£15 each so another good one).  For sure the threads looked a tad rusty but I hoped they would work again.












































Yesterday, Saturday, I got to grips with the brackets and found that they have weathered well.



Above they are de-rusted and below they are drying on the radiator having had the threads painted.




No comments:

Post a Comment