Wednesday 1 July 2020

Whilst waiting for the needles I decided that I had enough information on the seat cover now to allow me to strip off the remaining original seat back.  It didn't seem as rusty as the passenger side seat but had more actual damage to it which I can only assume is due to more use?  The top of the seat back was a tad weak and bent out of shape so I decided to make a supportive plate and weld it in.  The holes where the seat mounts to the base were also elongated so, again I decided on welding on some support.  Also, the actual shape of the seat wasn't as good as the passenger side.  In other words it didn't align with the base as well as the passenger side had done.  Also, frustratingly, the join I had made in the material covering the base signed up in an unfortunate position to the back, damn.























































I had exhausted my supply of POR15 paint so used a new tin of Hammerite which doesn't look quite so smart, hey ho, the POR15 was three times the price and I think I have done all the painting I need to so it will do, especially as it is to be completely covered.




I turned my attention to the bonnet catch mechanism.  The bracket below sits on the underside of it and I can see it is handed but I don't know what way round it goes.  Some research needed.














































I went to trial fit the mechanism and asked my wife for a hand as I knew I wouldn't be able to do it single handedly and then changed my mind and opted for a set of rivet nuts instead.









































I am going to drive to Southampton tonight after work to collect my wheels which is really exciting.  Also, the leather needles arrived in the post after a month or so which means I can finish the first seat this weekend, also very exciting.

No comments:

Post a Comment