Tuesday 28 July 2020

I have checked and the windscreen and rubber is £155 from Moss so I may do that sooner rather than later.

Spent the day looking at the engine.  I don't know much about setting up timing and fuelling so I spent a lot of time reviewing the videos available on the internet and eventually had enough of an idea to give it a go.  The most helpful was the series by James (of Resto Nation fame) which I studied extensively.  

I started by looking at the timing and then moving to the carbs.  In all the years I have owned MGs and the like I have never tinkered with SU carbs and it was really interesting to see the effect small changes made.  Following the step by step guide James provided I got the engine running really well, I am delighted.

I am also delighted to discover that the overdrive works.  With the prop shaft removed I had the car running in 3rd and manually pushed the lever and got it to engage.  That is fantastic news as it means that now I just need to sort the electrics out and I can do that at my leisure.  I refitted the prop shaft the correct way round this time and started to size up the tunnel cover before running out of steam.

I did have a couple of challenges along the way, one of the float chambers decided to pump petrol out of the overflow for some reason but a quick strip down and blow out sorted it.  Also, after the first hot run I was walking down the garden path to get a fresh coffee when I heard a massive bang and turned round to see steam coming out of the garage door.  The floor was saturated and the car covered in water.  At first I thought it was a core plug but it turns out that the radiator hose had popped off the water pump.  Soon fixed but the mess produced lives on.

Getting much closer to a drive now, very excited.  The Ace Cafe has a classic car night two weeks today and I would very much like to be there, fingers crossed.


No comments:

Post a Comment