Saturday 1 August 2020

Working from the rear to the front I decided to fit the boot next.  I was slightly amused to realise that I couldn't find the gaskets for the hinges despite looking everywhere.  I hardly have any parts left now so haven't experienced this type of thing for a while.  In the end I made a set out of gasket material.  They worked but the boot doesn't sit at the correct height on the cockpit edge, something that I may look at in time.  When I bought the hinges the previous owner said that he didn't think they were well made and wasn't sure of their alignment; for now they'll do.

The boot handle didn't fit at all which was frustrating because I had to drill and file out the holes, this is the type of activity that I would have preferred to have tackled prior to the boot lid being painted, oh well.  Once done I scoured the internet for pictures of the rear of bumper-less cars to see what the common height for numberplate light is before drilling that out and fitting it.  Then the numberplate.  It being located so low on the rear made it tricky to align and I am convinced that I have it on wonky, again this is something I may look at later on if it troubles me.  

I have just one job left to do on the rear and that is to fit the badge on the boot.  It has three studs that should fit into holes on the boot but I have none.  Now I could take an educated guess at where they should be and then drill them but I am a little wary of doing so.  I decided to order some double sided tape and use that with the badge as that way I can move it around until I find the place that it sits best without worry for putting holes in the wrong position.

The rear looks fabulous.

















































I looked at the door next.  I have two jobs, fit the cable used for opening them from the inside and align them so that they open and shut correctly.  My only remaining original door is stored at my Mother In-Law's home and I went to look at it to see where the cable is mounted.  I'm a little disturbed that the return on the inside of the door needs to be cut away as the doors are aluminium and I suspect this will adversely affect their structural strength.  

I had removed the rust on the cable ends last week and painted them so all I needed to do was cover them.  I had enough off-cuts of leather from the seats which I decided to use as it felt nicest but does mean that I will need to make the cover is several sections.  I glued the leather to the wire initially and then stitched it.  These look fit for purpose.










No comments:

Post a Comment