Tuesday 4 August 2020

Today is Wednesday 5th August 2020 and I am hoping to take the car to the Ace Cafe classic car night next Thursday, the 11th.  This is possibly hampered by the weather forecast of rain and as I won't have windscreen wipers installed this is definitely a major consideration.

Apart from that, these are the tasks I have left to do:

Install the bonnet
Replace the windscreen glass
Fit the grille
Fit the wiper mechanism 
Install the tunnel cover
Paint and install the battery cover
Install the fire extinguisher 

I am hoping that my lovely wife will have got me some wiper blades for my birthday which is on the day after the Ace Cafe night so I could ask her for my present a tad early.

Other than that I am conscious that I have two very tricky tasks ahead of me.  The windscreen is a real worry as the glass I have now installed has cracked multiple times and it must be it is out of line with the mounting brackets.  I had initially thought that it was the screen frame that was the problem and so I have ordered another set of corner brackets along with the glass from Moss which I am collecting this morning. I now think that the mounting brackets themselves might be out and this worries me, a lot.  I had not worried about this before as these brackets mount to the front bulkhead and that is one of the few structural pieces to be carried over from the original chassis.  But thinking of the fitting of the screen I am concerned that the bars that slide into the mounts from the windscreen pillars would not line up that well so I am concerned that the pillars may be out of line and changing that is going to be a big job.

I'm also extremely negative about the bonnet closing mechanism.  I know that the bonnet fits the car as I have previously installed it but I have not installed it with the bonnet catch mechanism.  What is the chance that this will line up?  based on every stage that I have got to so far in this rebuild I am inclined to think that this is somewhere around zero.  I have nightmares when thinking of the bonnet closing and not coming open again, it is not easy to get to.  Oh well, I shouldn't be worried about what might not happen.

The rest of the list should be ok to do.  Then I just need to drive the car, gulp.  It is now road legal with tax, MOT exemption, insurance and breakdown cover which is good. 

Going to be a week to remember.

No comments:

Post a Comment