Tuesday 4 August 2020

I snatched a few hours in the garage today.  I had retrieved the bonnet from its long term storage yesterday but not yet fitted it so I plonked it in the hole it is supposed to fill just to keep it safe and was rather struck by how much of a car it now looked.



I spent a long while working out where I could put the fire extinguisher and ended up thinking that it is probably best in front of the passenger.  Will consult with chief passenger before I start drilling.




The main business of the day was to raise the steering wheel.  This was not simple.  I only had to remove one bolt on the bracket that clamps the wheel and slide this along the column one place in the line of holes and replace the bolt.  However, it was impossible to see this area and so the job was done chiefly by feel.  Also, I had used the holes in the main support bracket from the front bulkhead to the dashboard for earthing the loom so this needed to be removed.  The plates that bolt to the air box on the bulkhead also needed removing and replacing which required drilling, a task that was now tricky because the area was difficult to get to.  All in all, a very fiddly few hours for a difference of about 1cm in height for the wheel.

I could move the column up a little further but this would require some modification to the dashboard and that would be a major job so I will live with it for now and then decide on it as a future winter project later on.




No comments:

Post a Comment