Saturday 8 August 2020

Started the day with three jobs between me and a first ever road trip in the Healey: Grille, windscreen & bonnet.

The grille was first.  I trial fitted it and thought that the inner section was still not as good as it could be so I made some adjustments and then bolted it on.



Very pleased with that so onto the screen.  I laid out a sheet in the garden to remove the broken used one from the frame and set about pulling it apart.  It was very hard to get the U channels off the glass and I am already glad that the new glass appears to be thinner.  I did get it off though and disposed of the old glass.  I had marked the frame with what I thought would be the required adjustments before I took it apart.

I checked all of the brackets and replaced two of them with brackets from the new set bought from Moss.  These appeared to be identical to the original set supplied by AH4H.  

I was unable to file the corners down, it turns out that chromed brass is incredibly hard.  This meant that I had to use the bench grinder, that was quite a scary moment I can tell you.  As I put the frame back together and tested it in the mountings on the car I became more and more conscious that these were not in the correct position.  I previously wrote that this is on original metal so should be ok but I look at them now and see that the shroud is quite pronounced on the passenger side, the same side that the screen is too high on.  Also, I am now more convinced that the angle of the bracket is out.  I bite the bullet and remove it.  Thinking back to my dad's day I remember him hitting a hammer on a panel to get an impact but reduce damage so that is what I did.  I took a panel beaters hammer and put it on the shroud where the mounting was sitting on and shacked it with a club hammer and it worked.  Remarkably the panel dropped down a few millimetres and all of the metal around it stayed undamaged.  This enabled the mounting bracket to sit on the car a few millimetres lower and once re-installed with a packing washers at the top all seemed much better.
I sat the glass in the frame and placed it in the car and it all fitted nicely.  I only needed to fit the rubber now and I was in business but that would be tomorrows task.



 




No comments:

Post a Comment