Sunday 23 February 2020

My list of TTD includes: paint steering wheel, fit wing trims and bolt up the wings as well as fit the cockpit trims and I chose the latter to start with.

I have one new trim, the dashboard section, and this is gleaming apart from the ends where I cut it to size and a massive scratch that it collected at some point in the last 6 months whilst hanging around in the garage.  The other 3 are in a terrible state.  The two door trims are the original trims for the car which is pleasing.  This picture shows what I am dealing with.








































After a lot of sanding with an orbital sander, by hand with sand paper and wet flatting it got to this stage.  I decided to leave some of the worse marks in the trim as to remove them would have meant rubbing so much metal away that it seemed wrong.











































This is the drivers door trim and I am happy with it.








































This is the rear cockpit trim and I am not happy with it.  It just wouldn't buff up as well as the door trim.






I guess it needs more flatting down and when I look in close I can see that the trim is far from ideal.  The issue is that I spent a day in the garage doing this and it has left my hand very sore from all the rubbing.  I return to work tomorrow after a week's holiday and I know I am not going to be able to get in as my finger prints will have gone, rubber away, oh well.

No comments:

Post a Comment