Tuesday 7 April 2020

Making the most of the Easter holidays with a lockdown in operation by spending ages in the garage working on the Healey.  I am not working very fast but it is lovely.

I went to fit the front headlamp bowls and realised that they were pretty rusty so I got the grinder out and then gave them a coat of paint.  I took the rear loom to the back of the car and installed that and then fitted the tail lamps.  I knew how the lens fitted into the rubber but my memory of how to get the chrome retaining trim in was shaky, much like my hand but, hey they got installed and I only had one little scratch to show for it!

First attempt and they worked perfectly.  Lights, brake lights and stop lights all perfectly operational straight out of the box, seems too good to be true.





I had some original leads from the headlamps to the wiring loom but the wires were just too tired to stick with so I striped the things down and made new cables, the left one is new the right is original.








































The pair completed.








































I eventually got the head lamps installed but they don't work.  Now I have doctored the wiring to install relays to power the halogen bulbs so it is highly likely to be my doing but I don't know what I have done wrong yet.  They look awesome though.










































I then fitted the rear view mirror which meant that the dash board was clamped up in the middle.  I have been using Ahead 4 Healey's for most of my parts with some coming from Moss and so they are the only places I look at for parts.  However, I was recommended to buy a solenoid from SC Parts a long time ago and when I went onto their website I realised that they sell a bar for the mirror to screw into and thought that I could make one of those which I duly did.  It made installing the mirror a piece of cake.  It also looks great.





No comments:

Post a Comment