Wednesday 8 April 2020

I got the multimeter out and discovered that it didn't work so I went to change the battery and the battery terminal came away in my hand, rotten; damn.  I have a lead with a light on that is ok for testing if there is a voltage across a wire but I really needed to measure resistance.  I sat at the computer and thought about ordering a new meter on eBay as I knew it would be cheap to buy but I was a little worried about delivery time with both the pandemic and the bank holiday this weekend.  As I needed to know what to order I searched for Machine Mart, the company that sells Clarke tools, and discovered that they are open as, apparently, they are an essential supplier.  Having searched the products I settled on one and then phoned the shop to see if I could collect it only to discover that they didn't have that model in stock but  the shop in Leyton, a few miles further away did.  I pondered  the trip as it clearly isn't essential and went anyway.

With the new meter in use I set about working out what I had done wrong.  It took about 30 minutes to realise that the wires to the front from the relays were wrong.  I had run the wires correctly and then connected the original wires in the loom at the front, what a donut.





















It kind of looked like the lamps were filled with smoke but my wife said I was soft in the head so I ignored it.  The lamps came with side lights incorporated into them with a comment saying that they could be blanked off but nothing to blank them off with.  I used a standard grommet but am a little uncomfortable with this as I don't know how much heat they can stand so I might take them out and leave the hole open.




No comments:

Post a Comment