Sunday 22 December 2019



After a few days of pre-Christmas festivities I was determined to get the rear shroud on for the final time but, as ever, I got side tracked.  About a week after I fitted the fuel tank for the final time I saw a part advertised on one of the suppliers websites that appeared to be a foam washer for the base of the tank and my heart sank.  I bought the part and have been waiting to fit it ever since.  I wanted to fit it before the shroud went on for the final time as it would be easier without the should in the way.








































Now during the filling phase I have been pretty lazy at keeping the car clean as you can see below.  I discovered that this had a real advantage.



It can't be seen clearly in the picture below because in the process of making the discovery I cleaned off most of the filler dust.  In the area around the tank fuel pipe the dust had gone an odd light green colour.  When I wiped it I realised it was damp and on smelling it I became aware that it was contaminated with fuel meaning that I had a leak.  Damn. 










































I have managed to get this nut undone and lift the pipe but not completely remove it.  I will get some plumbers sealing tape tomorrow and have a go at fixing it as I assume this is where the leak was.  I feel a little frustrated with this in some ways.  Whilst I am glad that I found the leak I am disappointed that I am having trouble with the tank again having spent so much time on it.  I did see one advertised second hand recently and wondered if I should have bought it but there is a part of me reluctant to give up on it having invested so much time on it so I didn't.








































I did also fit the shroud and drill out the holes on the bottom of the boot floor which I subsequently painted prior to final fitment tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment