Friday 31 May 2019

The filler work is surprisingly enjoyable.  I have memories of being bored out of mind mind whilst rubbing down filler when I worked at Dad's garage 30 odd years ago but I didn't find this dull at all.  I think it might be to do with the car being the apple in my eye at the moment. It might be because I have only done one wing and that by the time I have finished I will be bored again.  I don't know but for now I felt happy enough doing it.  I liked creating the swage line and the rolled edge of the arch.









































It might also be down to the filler being easier to rub down or the new blocks being better to use that the small lump I used to use or possibly that the paper doesn't clog up within a few rubs.  I don't know but it is certainly better than I remember.

My next challenge is that I have surprisingly few opportunities to work on the car in the coming months as I am away most weekends between now and the summer when we go away for the month of August.  I could get my head round going in the garage after work but the mess created and the agro in emptying the garage of all the bikes and clutter before I can start work means that the chances of that happening are slim, I must try harder.  The other issue I have is that I need a few parts and I have no money left in the Healey fund which is a challenge.  I'll work something out.  

My plan is to do one panel at a time then remove it from the car and prime it before rubbing it down again then removing them again and re-priming and painting the inside in top coat before the final fit prior to painting the car Healey Blue.  This is not the quickest approach but I don't want overspray on the car and I know that I'll get some if I try to paint the panels on the car.

1 comment: