Saturday 6 October 2018

Last Sunday I had the day in the garage and thought that I'd fit the heater matrix and then finish the dashboard.  With the benefit of hindsight I was wildly optimistic.

The heater is a little cutie and whilst it is showing signs of ageing I decided that as I didn't have the correct crinkle type pain and that most of it is hidden from view I'd fit it as is.  I did blow it out as it was very clocked with dust and insect nests then I tested the fans operation.  The switch isn't too expensive and whilst it does work it is a little haphazard but I thought I'd live with it for the time being.  Just above the switch knob is a little indent for a Smiths badge that I may by one day, then again,.....









I did paint the tubes though as they were caked in crud and red paint from the previous owners colour change to red.








































I then switched my attention to the water pump rather than the dashboard.  I'd gained the advice that the blanking screw was in the wrong place and that I should be able to swap them.  Could I, hell no.  So after a lot of faffing about I removed the pump and swapped it with the spare that I have.  This leaves me with two different colour greens in the engine bay as the pump was painted in the original light green, oh well.  I could have painted it but I couldn't be bothered and I was impatient.  I also have no idea of the condition of either pump but new ones are quite affordable so if it comes to it I will just replace it with a new one.  My blurry picture hides the level of contrast in the paint colours.










































That was last Sunday covered.  Yesterday, Saturday, I had another day in the garage and I decided to sort the prop shaft out as I am decided on replacing the UJs so thought it could do with a coat of paint.  I doubt if the prop was painted at the factory though so had some debate with myself on whether it should be painted and then just got on with it.  it took most of the day which was surprising but is now hanging in the garage drying and looking lovely.




























No comments:

Post a Comment