Sunday 27 May 2018

So I know I have to do two things:

Fit the wiring loom.
Get the engine out, clean it, fit the core plugs, paint it and install it in the car.

For some strange reason I don't want to do either so I am finding other jobs to do, like polish the dashboard.  I saw a a Hundred with a polished dash on a French website which looked lovely and having grown frustrated with the difficulties in getting a paint code for the original blue/silver paint I have decided to go this route.  The main challenge is that there are some substantial scratches in the aluminium from the production process to get rid of.  I have never done this before but know that I need to flat it down then polish with an aluminium polish such as Autosol which I have along with a small polishing wheel acquired from eBay.  I start flatting with 180 wet and dry.  Hours later I have done a small area, and I mean hours.







I get bored of this and got the 80 grit dry paper out and make some substantial progress, then I flatted it again with the 180 wet and dry before polishing.







It is soon clear that I have not got the original production marks out and that I haven't rubbed it down properly.  So, after 6 hours of rubbing, may arms ache, I head for lunch and a few Youtube videos on how to do this properly.  I decided that I need to use the orbital sander with progressively finer grit papers.  I have 120 so I use that to get rid of the production marks which I have now done.  I'll get some finer papers next time I venture out.

I turn my attention back to the tank.  I had to add more brazing rod to the area around the outlet pipe which I did successfully.  I also had one more area to solder and I realised that I was using the oxy-acetylene at too high a temp so reduced the heat and the soldering started to work.




I had a few minutes contemplation on whether or not I should re-do the other solder areas now that I had a better idea of what to do and then decided against it so I rubbed the tank down and painted it.































No comments:

Post a Comment