Saturday 6 April 2013

So, yet another long spell out of the garage fuelled by too much work, a very cold spell and a large dollop of procrastination.  Having got back into the garage I set about fixing the Audi's roof first, yet more procrastination. I only need to get the car's electronic control system reset and then I think it will be fixed, fingers crossed.  I also re-felted the neighbours shed and cut the grass, again lots more procrastination.

Anyway, having used up all the excuses I could muster I drilled some holes in the off side (drivers) door and fitted it to the car.  Of course it fitted differently to the near side door.  I realised that the holes were drilled too close to the body of the car so spent a good while drilling and filing them to get the door in a better position.  Similar to the near side I found that the A post was too far towards the rear of the car so I need to move it forward.  This however is not so easy as the near side as the front wing is in the correct position compared to the front shroud.  I'm not sure where the space is going to come from so I decided to call it a day so that I can ponder some more over a beer.





The photos show the gap at the front which strikes me as a little large but I'm not sure that I can do much about that, again, some pondering needed.

I also think I need to bite the bullet and fit the wing repair sections to get a good idea of the gaps at the bottom of the doors.  It has been many a year since I have done anything like that, at least 20 years, so I am again entering a phase of procrastination.  However, time is not on my side for two reasons.  Initially I have a week off work due to the wonderful school holidays and so I have the opportunity to get in the garage without feeling knackered from the day job and I should take it.  The second is that I have gone and sold my MIG welder.  I have decided that it is a little too tired to finish the job at the level I want even though I suspect that it might in part be due to the fact that I use weld through primer on everything which makes it harder to get a good weld.  Anyway, I put it on eBay and somebody has gone and bid on it so that's that.  The auction ends on Monday (Saturday today) and I guess the happy new owner will want it quite quickly which means I should really try to get the wing repairs done asap.  Of course I haven't decided what welder to buy so I need to do that pretty quickly too.  My search is hampered by the desire to have an Aluminium welding facility as the shrouds have a few cracks that need sorting and the front near side section needs cutting and shutting to undo a previous and rather poor repair.  So lots to do/think about.

Tomorrow I will be back in the garage until lunchtime when I will disappear off to the pub with the dog to watch the football, some things just have to happen, so expect another update soon. 

No comments:

Post a Comment