Sunday 14 April 2013

Back to the off side panels with a fresh perspective and I spent many hours tinkering joyously in some spring sunshine. 

I started by moving the 'a' post forward to see if I could get any joy with the door gaps.  They improved but at the expense of the wing which was now pushed too par forward.  I have sold my MIG but not yet collected the new one as I am waiting for a Machine Mart VAT free day which just so happens to be next Friday so I got the Oxy-Acetylene welding equipment out.  This was fun as it was another thing that I have not done for 20 plus years.  I blew a few small holes before I got the hang of it and then rather enjoyed it, in some ways it seemed easier than the MIG was.  I decided to wait until the weekend to return the 'a' post to its last position as an excuse to test it.

I then removed a piece of the sill return and managed to get a much better fit of the inner wing which was good.  I then noticed that there is still some remnants of the wing bottom on the near side wing and that tells me that the wings were cut back on the inside to allow it to fit over the inner wing.  My repair panels are not shaped that way but I'm not sure I trust them to be truly accurate.  Either way I have two possible routes forward with this area which is good.

I then began modifying the wing repair to make it the required length.  At some point I fell into a deep ponder and spent several hours looking and measuring various parts of the body before I threw the towel in and went to pick up all the dog output on the lawn, until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment