Sunday 7 April 2013

Two days running, long may it continue.  That's where the good news ends though as I spent a thoroughly frustrating morning in the garage.  I started by deciding to get on with fitting the lower wing repair section to the off side front wing.  As soon as I offered it up I realised that it was the wrong size.  I checked the web site  and discovered that they sell the same wing section for both the BN1 and BN2 Healey 100.  As these cars have different wheel arch measurements they were bound to fit only one of them at best and it was the BN2 that got lucky.  So the section is 1/2 inch too short, nice.  I guess this is the point where an experienced Healey restorer will be shouting at the computer screen "What did you expect, a perfect fit?" and of course I did, the donut I am.

I then started to see where the best place to cut it and insert a strip of metal was when I realised that  the front hits the return on the sill, that is if I have it at what appears to be the correct height.  It then occurred to me that I have no idea where or how the wing attaches at the bottom of the sill, I know it bolts on but nothing more than that.  So I spent a good while surfing looking for pictures of this detail but, alas, found none.  So I sent an SOS email to John 'the 100 register man' to see if he would be kind enough to send me a photo or two of his car, fingers crossed.

I then got the inner wing out and clamped that to the car and try as hard as I might it didn't line up.  Now I'm not too bothered by this as it is unseen and easily modified.  Only it just added to my unease about the way the whole car is shaping up.  I am determined to get it looking right when done so it means many hours pondering.  I took a few photos for your pleasure:


Here you can see the inner wing clamped to the end of the sill, I can't fathom how the wing passes it?


Should the front of the wing sit that high under the shroud?  Easily adjusted though.

The gap above the shock mount looks OK but it is way too far forward on the rising edge.

It looks ok on the cross member though.

Until next time, many hours of research coming up I think.  Off to the pub to watch the football, COYS.

No comments:

Post a Comment