Sunday 21 June 2020

Yesterday I drove to Southampton, well nearby, to Tudor Wheels and met the owner, Richard.  He was fabulous and went into great detail about the wheels, their history and their condition.  I took the seven wheels I had and as luck would have it two were good for the front, two for the rear and one for a spare, perfect.  The two that were fit only for the bin were not the two I would have predicted so I felt pleased that I went to see him.  It was also a lovely drive there and back in our new(ish) car with the roof down.

Today I started back on the seat back with renewed vigour.  I started by cutting a wider centre channel into the seat foam which was surprisingly tricky to do.









































Having got the channel wide enough I started tithing about how the wiring would work so I fitted the bolts to the frame and then added the seat back to work out the best way.  I am not yet convinced but I do have a route in mind that I think will work.  It was quite nice to see the back on the base with the base cushion in place.














































































I decided I needed to extend the wires for the seat heating element.












































I glued the rear of the seat back and added the laver of felt, well padding that I had bought for the job.  I feel very conscious that I don't really know what I am doing and that if I had this time again I would have bought a more study type of material, oh well.








































Once attached to the back I pulled it round and covered the edges of the foam for the seat back.









































I then glued the heater element in place.








































I then fitted the seat cover and pushed and pulled it around until I was reasonably happy with it before gluing the centre section of the cover.








































I also stapled the rear of the seat cover using my newly acquired 6mm staples; this felt very scary.











































So, half glued and partially stapled.  It looks good to me though.  Given my time again I may have preferred not to have the gather clearly visible on the right hand corner of the fluted section, oh well.  It looks better than it did last week.










No comments:

Post a Comment