Saturday 28 March 2020

I continued with the starter motor and removed and refitted the earth strap and no improvement was found so I called the manufacturer.  As I was in the garage I did a search on my phone that produced the address and telephone number of the company which I realised later was quite fortunate.  When I called a chap answered the phone and I asked if they gave technical support over the telephone and he replied that they did and asked what I wanted so I told him.  I mentioned that I had checked the earthing and that a bar at the top of the motor got warm when I tried and he said he thought that there was a problem with the motor.  Oddly, I thought at the time, he said that he thought there was a problem with the motor even though it had passed their testing process.  He said I could bring it back and they could fix it and as I was now off work I thought that a 50 mile ride across country on the Triumph would be a great thing to do.  This was Monday and that evening the government announced more widespread lockdown rules to combat the Coronavirus outbreak so I decided against it, shame as the weather is beautiful and the roads are empty.

I called them back and realised that when I searched the company on my laptop the details come up without the phone number or address.  When I speak with them they agree that I probably shouldn't go there either and so I post it to them.  I do this by printing a Post Office label at home for the cost of £9.80 and dropping it at the local post office.  The post master tells me I should have used Parcel Force as they would insure it for its value and I start to feel a little uncomfortable.  This is compounded by the thought that I only got the contacts first name and if they have closed then where will the thing end up?  Best not worry about it for now.

I then turn my attention to the rear wing bead trims which I manage to finish.  I then fit the rear cockpit trim and feel very happy with myself as it looks fabulous.




I then think about the front cockpit trim and realise it would make sense to fit the rearview mirror first as the bracket that holds the dash in place is also held in place by the mirror mounting mechanism.  For this I need to make a little bar that the screws can fix into, I noticed that Moss sell one and I thought I could make that.  Only when I start tapping the hole with my new 3/16 tap it shatters, damn.  I've ordered a replacement on eBay and in the mean time turn my attention to the door gaps.  This is connected because the position of the door dictates the position of the boor cockpit trim.  

I make some more hinge shims and fit them but it seems like the door doesn't move and the hinge panel does, a little alarmingly.  So I decide I should fit the door trim panels and sort out the door locks  for a final time.  I needed to trim them a little and stick the edge piping to them before fitting. 





This looks really great, I am really please with it.



Truth be told I didn't really do very much today which is quite shocking really, must try harder, must try harder, must tr,..........

No comments:

Post a Comment