Thursday 18 April 2019

I collected the pushrod and installed it and the rocker cover before getting distracted.  I got distracted by @resto_nation who is building a 100 whilst posting videos on YouTube of the progress.  He did an episode on fitting an electric fan this week and it got me thinking about my car.  I am a little troubled by how quickly the engine heats up when I run it and I am becoming more conscious of the impending restrictions to the engine bay that will happen when I fit the shroud and wings.  The later is why I decided to do the head gasket rather than try and repair the stud for example.  So with easy access at the moment and the knowledge that I will almost certainly need to have fan I decided to get on with it.

I ordered a 12" fan from eBay for £18.18 delivered and a few toggle switches.

























Having already installed the wiring for the fan one of the things I knew was that I wasn't going to install a temperature controller and that it was going to be switch operated.  The reason behind this was that I didn't want to insert a sensor into cooling system which is funny now that I look back on it as I had to anyway because of the funny thread on the radiator, oh well.  I guess I'll see how the switch operation works in practice as I can install a controller at a later date if needed.

I wanted to use the type of toggle switches which are used for the overdrive as they look beautiful and I found these on eBay for £5.68 for 5.  It is possible that they will look cheap and nasty when they arrive but I like the enabled on/off plate and figure it is worth a go.


























I bought more than one so that if I decide to add additional components at a later date I can add similar switches to the car to keep the looks clean.  I haven't worked out where to fit it yet.  I want it to be easy to access whilst driving but out of sight, something to ponder.



I copied @resto_nation's method of mounting the fan which made life very easy.  It was a lovely way to spend time in the garage.

Once I started to install the complete rad/fan unit I also tried to get it sat a little lower in the car as @resto_nation put quite a bit of effort into that and I realised that the rad was quite high.  It took 4 attempts but I did get it about a cm lower with some minor modifications to the aluminium rad casing.



I fitted the new temperature gauge for the first time which felt nice to do.  The tube is about 5 feet too long so I will have to work out what I am going to do with the slack.  Naturally I am glad that it is too long rather than too short!



























I am wondering if I should have painted the rad black.  Had I of done so then the fan would be difficult to see.  I will not be taking it out again with any luck so I guess that moment has passed.

No comments:

Post a Comment