Monday 4 February 2019

Spent the weekend finishing off little bits then trying to start the engine, it was very exciting.

I made a cap for the radiator temp outlet out of an old nut that was very big, I have no idea what it was fitted on originally.  Then I filled the engine with oil using the kitchen measuring jug.





Almost immediately the engine started to leak oil, looks like I need a new cork seal for the rocker cover.


























I also had a few petrol leaks which just needed a few nuts tightening.  I then tried to turn the engine over only to discover that it wouldn't, the starter motor span but the engine didn't.  I then realised that I hadn't fitted the earth strap to the engine.  This sorted that and the engine span up nicely and the oil pressure went up well too, phew.




























I had to do some work to get a spark including setting the points but I got there in the end.  I took the car out and tried to start it.  It'd didn't want to know but did splatter back through the carbs so I took the distributor out and moved its drive shaft along one of the splines, tried again and it was worse so I moved it back the opposite direction.  It almost went but by this stage the battery was flat.  Next weekend.







No comments:

Post a Comment