Saturday 15 December 2018

Yesterday I started work on the last of the engine bay wiring by drilling the distributor drive shaft and fittings a new retaining pin then installed it.  I soon realised that to get top dead centre on number 1 cylinder I needed to turn the engine over by using the nut on the end of the crank.  This is a large nut and I didn't have a spanner big enough so I decided to modify the biggest one I did have.  Now the only troubling thing is that I had already modified this spanner for a previous job and I can't remember what the job was; I have a little worry that I am going to do something later on and be really annoyed with myself that I didn't use a different spanner.  Anyway, it worked and I found TDC and installed the distributor.



























Next up, the plugs and leads.  Frustratingly, I only have 5 of the little brass washers that set the copper centre wire to the contact strip in the cap and I need 6 (4 plugs and either end of the HT lead) which is a real pain.  The reason it is a pain is that they are only 35p each but by the time I pay packing and postage it'll be well over £5 and that just annoys me, being stupid is really costly in life.


























Everything in except the lead from the distributor to the coil which is made.



























Starting to think about what to do to get it running.

I need to fit the parcel shelf so that I can install the choke cable and once done I think that is that.  I know I have a bit of wiring at the back to do, such as fitting the battery cut out switch and indeed the battery itself.  I also need to run the last few pipes in the back to the petrol pump from the tank and install the tank retaining straps.

I also need to fit the exhaust and fill with oil and water.  Fit the final linkage in the clutch assembly.  Engine to earth strap.  Adjust and tighten the throttle linkage.

The oil, exhaust and battery are all coming care of Father Christmas so I have no choice but to wait for those.  Hopefully I can get everything else done by then so that I can get it running asap.  Feels very exciting.





No comments:

Post a Comment