Monday 27 August 2018

On Sunday I managed to get the car out and access the engine, I removed the sum and fitted the oil pump.




I decided to grind the sump down and paint it.  I had bought POR15 in Austin Healey engine green some time ago.  It reminds me of the colour of my Action Man clothes and tanks from childhood days.


























Now you may wonder why I have two oil pumps in pieces.


























Well, when I went looking for the green paint I opened this plastic bag in the boot of the car and discovered a complete oil pump with a drive shaft.  I couldn't believe it.  I had been hounding John for ages to pick up the oil pump drive shaft and I had one all along.   I sent him an email asking if I can send it back, he was remarkably cool about it.  It means I have a spare oil pump housing which I will sell when the funds get painfully tight.

Today I turned my attention to the core plugs whilst waiting for the sump paint to dry.  Now I have been watching YouTube videos for ages on doing this as I have never done it before and it felt a little daunting.  At one point a few months back I saw an American fitting core plugs to a tractor and he used a funky looking sealer in addition to the plugs themselves; I liked the look of it and found via eBay that I could get some for not too much money and did so.


























First one in.


























Hammered with a punch to secure.





























One side completed and looking good.  This was a satisfying job.





























This was the American sealer, it is very mean if you get it on your skin.









No comments:

Post a Comment