Sunday 4 March 2018

I started early this morning having dropped my wife off for a run at 6:45 (On a Sunday).  It went well from the off, I found the missing cotter pins that I couldn't find yesterday and realised, during the night, that the Dremel would be a good way of removing paint and it was.

I followed the service manual and was very grateful for the step by step instructions.  So much of what I have done to date hasn't really had that so it felt quite safe, and enjoyable.


Here it is starting to come together.






I was a little worried about the movement of the swivel pin in the suspension arms as it is supposed to be easy, in reality it is smooth but it is not easy.  I was also a little troubled by the number of washers needed for the swivel pin and found that I went for a repeat of the original set up.  Everything else went well.

Then I got to the spring, gulp.  I remember as a kid working at my Dad's yard that removing springs was a very tricky project unless you have really good quality spring clamps and here am I looking at the service manual which says that one should use two 3/8 x 4" bolts.  I didn't have 4" bolts but I did have a length of 8mm studding which I cut up into three  6" pieces.  I took a photo before I started as I wasn't at all convinced that this would work.






But, you know, it did work.  And it worked very well.  I am really pleased about this.









































Here is the finished suspension.  However, I realise that I have the wrong anti-roll bar mount on, it should have been the one from the other side, donut.  I couldn't actually find a photo of it in the service manual and I couldn't be bothered to come in from the garage and go through my photos on the computer to check so I had a punt, and got it wrong.  However, when I was planning this stage of the rebuild I was also not sure how long the bolts should be and ordered 2.25" 3/8 UNF bolts and matching locking nuts but when it was all done up there isn't quiet enough thread pocking through on the side with the roll- bar mount so I need to remove them and replace them with longer ones.





I feel very happy with it though.  I appreciate that I need to fit the brakes up but it still feels like a visible step has been taken.



No comments:

Post a Comment