Saturday 9 December 2017

The socket arrived via eBay during the week and I set about the hub.  I greatly enjoyed doing this strip down.




























I took the wishbone apart after this photo was taken and am now left with just the bearings to remove.  Then I will clean the lot up and paint it all.  In an ideal world I would finish this side, put it all back together and then start the other side but I can't do that.  This is because I need to hire the reamer from Ahead 4 Healey's at £10/day meaning that I need to have both sides ready at the same time, oh well.

Tomorrow I want to strip the brake backplate down then clean up the metal sections and paint them.  Although as I type this I realise I need to remove the king pin bushes and replace them before I do that.  Decisions, decisions.

Prior to doing all of this I used my other new socket to take the nut off the rear of the overdrive unit so that I can remove the flange and replace that oil seal.  I got the nut off but could I remove the flange?  No, I couldn't.  As I type now the thing is under compression from my weak and ineffective puller.  I'm tempted to use some heat on it but I don't want to risk damaging any bearings etc. in the process.  I've seem this being done on a video on youtube and it looked easy enough, just whack it with a hammer and off it comes.  Well I hit it and I hit it hard yet nothing, hasn't budged an inch.  I decided to leave this and return tomorrow as sometimes these things are simpler second time round.




No comments:

Post a Comment