Friday 22 December 2017


I discovered that I had been over zealous in my strip down of the back plate by removing the snail shaped brake shoe adjusters.  They were locked solid so I thought nothing of doing it but when I went to order the parts I realised that they are part of the backplate and not sold separately which means I need a new plate, damn.  Fortunately John has one, phew.  I'll be a little more careful with the other side.  The slave cylinders were knackered and need replacing with is a shame as that is about £120 instead of a £10 repair kit, oh well.



























I turned my attention to the flange on the bottom, or rear of the overdrive.  It had been under pressure from the puller for a week but was not moving so I got the oxy-actylene out and it gave way.  A quick clean up and the new seal went in.  I am worried that it may have gone in too far though and it certainly sits much deeper that the original.  Part of my thinks it'll be alright and part of me is thinking that when oil starts dripping from the rear of the gearbox I'll be really annoyed at the job of removing the gearbox jet to change it.  I may change it later on but for now I have dispelled negative thoughts from my mind.








Having finished the overdrive I set about connecting it back to the gearbox which was fiddly but did eventually work.











The unit all back together and waiting patiently for the engine,...




























Next up was the replacement of the bushes.  I took advice off another Healey owner and placed the bushes in the freezer overnight but by the time I actually got it lined up and calmed I suspect that the bush had warmed up.  Anyway it went in, yippee.











Having got the bushes in I turned to the hub and striped out the bearings and bushes before giving it a clean up.




No comments:

Post a Comment