Friday 20 October 2017

Tomorrow I am off to see John again with my gearbox/overdrive unit to get an idea from him on what I need to do to get it ready for installation.  I am very excited about it.  This morning I dragged the gearbox out of storage at my in-laws and grabbed a few other things like the prop shaft to take with me for his views.  Some of the other parts I have been working on are also coming and I had a few final bits of fettling & cleaning to do before I could take them; so a day getting mucky beckoned.


I started with the idler which I spent a while looking for last week without luck only to see it on the floor right in front of me all along.  The movement is very smooth so I hope it is ok.  I started to clean it off and looked at the steering arm and decided that I should just get on and heat it to remove it.  So I took the cheap and cheerful puller and managed to clamp it on the arm without the damaged thread section getting in the way and applied some heat.  It popped off.  I cleaned the rest of it up then took the steering box and did the same to that.  No obvious signs of damage, phew.












I realise this connecting rod is knackered and am somewhat pleased to note that they are pretty reasonably priced new which is a relief.  The longer rod does come apart and I can buy just the ends which I will do although the price for the whole thing is not much more than a pair of rod ends but I like to reuse what I can.



























I did also find the arm for the master cylinder which is bent, hopefully John has one as I couldn't see them listed on Ahead4 Healey's website.

Very much looking forward to tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment