Sunday 15 October 2017

Jolly happy to be back in the garage.  On the basis that I am taking the gearbox / overdrive unit to see John next weekend I am thinking that I should make the most of the opportunity to get some advice.  So I pulled the master cylinder apart and set about cleaning it.  The exposed section of the inner bore is a little pitted which is a shame but I suspect it'll be ok.  I can't locate the rod that pushes the piston which is troublesome.































I wanted to do the steering idler next but couldn't find it so grabbed the steering box and set about stripping that down.  The actual box looks like it has been recently (well in terms of a 1954 car) worked on which bodes well as the paint was quite new looking.  However, it feels rough when I move the arm for the steering connector rods.  It felt less rough when I turned the steering column though.






The connecting rods were very difficult to remove so I needed a hammer and some heat.  I couldn't get the steering arm off, even broke my puller.  I was reluctant to use heat on that incase it would have a detrimental effect on the steering box itself so I will have to put some more thought into it and come back another day.





Once I removed the cover I could see the main gears and they looked ok but I can't be sure from just looking.  I didn't want to remove the pegs though as I didn't want the bearings scattering everywhere.






Finished up by letting the oil drain away.




No comments:

Post a Comment