Sunday 19 February 2017

On Friday I took the panel to Nottingham to be dipped, a nice drive and a good step in the overall process.  Today I started welding the car up fully.  I know I don't need to totally seem weld it but I can't help myself.



























I think it will take some time to get the whole car welded up judging by the time it took today, perhaps I'll skip the full seem welding soon.

In preparation for the next task which is to paint the inner bodywork I have been researching various paint options.  The good news is I have found out how to paint the stainless steel chassis, something that has troubled me for a very long time.  Frost, the UK based supplier of parts and consumables for the classic car has a lot of tutorial videos and one of them was on how to paint stainless steel chassis, rather handy.  Essentially, I get the lot clean with a degreaser, then use a lotion which has phosphoric acid in and then an etch primer before the final top coat.  I just need to decide on what paint I am going to use.  I had originally intended to use POR15 but in a recent communication with the company that makes it I discovered that I can only use a top coat if it is applied when the POR15 is still tacky.  There is no way I can do that so that means I need a new route and at the moment it looks like etch primer is the way forward with a stone chip on the underside and possibly in some areas of the inside such as the boot and the footwells.  It has been interesting surfing for solutions.  I had to smile when I saw the list of 10 tools everyone needs for a restoration on the frost website as it included two very low cost tools that would have made life easier for me, oh well.



No comments:

Post a Comment