Saturday 5 March 2016

I went to see John last weekend and had an enjoyable couple of hours checking out various items.  I managed to get the bulk of a fuel pump repair kit, a spacer for the pedal bar, a replacement control box and a gearbox cover to the rear tunnel.  That was pleasing.  I also managed to locate the position of the tray that the wiper motor mounts on to as I can't find any measurements.




I discovered that John has owned this car since the mid 60s, how cool is that.

I took the chance to see what happens where the pedal bars go through the body.






And discovered that a bracket is required for a return spring to the brake master cylinder.  This was a good time for that to happen as it would have been awful to realise that after the chassis was painted.




























Having previously asked I knew that Ahead 4 Healeys do not stock the brackets welded on to the chassis to mount the battery on.  John and I discussed the battery possibilities and I am thinking that I should go for a single unit as the cost of the twin batteries and the battery clamps is extremely high compared to a single equivalent.  I have been lucky enough to own a few MGBs and have always been happy enough with their twin set up but the final nail in the coffin was that the modern batteries and the brackets are not the original style.

I am thinking of reusing the clamps removed a few weeks back and making new brackets for a single battery.  I will ponder this for a while.  Another area for consideration is the removal of the battery circuit breaker switch in the boot.  Apparently they were frequently removed back in the day.  I don't have one at the moment so I may consider that a long way down the road.



No comments:

Post a Comment