Tuesday 16 February 2016

Continuing my plan to work my way forwards with the last of the inner panel work I turned my attentions to the metalwork around the floor pans.  I was not surprised to discover that I hadn't got round to priming the panels that sit behind the seat and above the leaf spring.  Some labour intensive work later and I had turned a rusty panel into a clean one.








































Then I looked in my store of sheet metal for the gaps either side of the tunnel to realise the only suitable source was a pair of unused sills which were even more rusty.  More rust removal and some hammering later I was ready.  I was a little disturbed by the required amount of hammering to get the metal flat and just how tired my arm was as a result.








































The picture below shows the holes I was filling.  Quite nice work really as it is flat and difficult for me to mess up.








































I primed them ready for installation and spent some time grinding more of the galvanised coating off the chassis before priming that too.









































Driver side complete with new panels tacked in place.












































That's as far as I got.  I had a disrupted day but even so it always surprises me how long everything takes.  The plan is to get the gearbox cover out of storage and fit the panel that it mounts to on the bulkhead.  Then it is on to the wiper motor shelf which I had previously salvaged from the original footwell side panel.  I have a memory of writing down the details of the exact location of it but for the life of me I can't remember where I put the details?  I also have the battery switch compartment to install but will wait until the rear shroud is off to do that.  I also have a few brackets to remove from the original chassis and restore before installing and then it is on to the inner wings.  I can see the end of the road for the inner bodywork and that is exciting.  At that point I will need to weld the whole car up, as everywhere is just removable tack welds currently, which should be fun.  I will also need to turn the body upside down to access the underside and I am starting to wonder how  I am going to do that, a great source of entertainment for idle moments.  Another source is deciding what to do with all the holes that are in the bulkhead for cables etc as I'm sure I won't need them all.  At this stage I'm thinking that I should weld the lot up but I suspect that this won't be as easy as it sounds.  I also have one front wing to sandblast and paint and to do that I need a sieve to recycle the used/reclaimed sand. All good fun.










No comments:

Post a Comment