Wednesday 29 October 2014

So having eaten breakfast, walked the dog and consumed too much coffee I headed to the garage and the front wing.  I decided that I could cut the wing in serval ways but before I did anything I wanted to see the wing fitted to the car without being forced into position by bolts, mole grips etc. so I completely unbolted and unclamped it and left it hanging in place to see what it looked like.  It looked much better from a warping point of view but didn't fit the space I have for it.  The fact that the bulge almost completely dropped away was key though.  So I broke down what was wrong into three categories:

The bottom of the wing hangs too far out from the car.

The bottom of the wing is low.

The wing is too long for the car.

The first of these was easy and I so sorted it out initially.  I remembered I had this trouble on the other side and that I had cut away the return and placed some oval holes in the return edge to the chassis, or sill.  So I removed the wing having taken some measurements and cut the return off, cut a length of steel out and welded it back together.  I then put some holes in for drainage as I had seen on John's 100.






































This had an immediate impact of bringing the bottom into line which was positive, however I may need to repeat to shave a little more off.  I'd rather do it twice than do it once and cut too much off.

I then turned to the third point, the wing being too long.  I kept moving the wing backwards and forwards until I could see where the main cause of the problem was.  I decided that the front section of the wing was a good fit.  When the front headlamp section of the wing was lined up with the shroud then all other key markers were in line such as the holes for the wing on the shroud and more convincingly the holes for the piece of metal that mounts between the wing and the shroud to accept the windscreen when the screen is lowered (I can't think of the correct name for the part)  there are also marks for previous fitment of this part that lined up and that bodes well even if the wing and shroud wern't original to car.  I decided that the wing was too long between this section and the very rear of the wing.  The fact that the door lines up well to the top of the shroud convinces me that the door and the A-post are in reasonable shape, so a long wing it is.  I made some measurements and marked out the section to cut then procrastinated some.














































As one can see, it is quiet a big strip.  It is wider as it descends but probably not wide enough however, I lost my bottle at the thought of cutting more metal off in one go so decide to go with this.  So out came the angle grinder and off came a little strip of old metal.







































Having cleaned up the edges I put the wing back on in the correct position and placed the separated rear edge on and found that it looked good at the top but as suspected a little out on the bottom which will need a little more material taken off, but not now I had to clean up, jump in the real car and drive to Reading to meet some old friends for a pizza.








































I am, as I did yesterday writing this in the morning of the following day and find myself once again in the position of having to walk the dog (it's raining today so not as pleasurable) and cook breakfast before heading back for some more.  I would like to finish the rear edge and then perhaps look at doing the second item, raising the lower edge by essentially repeating the process but by cutting horizontally along the bottom of the wing.  However, I need to get the wings and any other items I need sandblasting over to see Vernon this afternoon so I will have much less time, we'll see how it goes.






No comments:

Post a Comment