Wednesday 1 October 2014

It was the last Sunday in September and a fine day too.  I had the whole day to make the final sections of the shroud lower front brackets and fit them.  I started by cutting out the pieces of steel that I welded to the bulkhead to keep it in the correct position for two reasons.  Initially it occurred to me that these might be doing their job too effectively and preventing the bulkhead from adjusting as required to get the front aligned.  Also, I needed the angle iron to make the brackets.  Anyway off they came and cleaned, cut and ground into shape they were before being painted in primer.  I then attached them to the shroud, refitted the wings and with the use of some straps and ratchets pulled it all into place before drilling and bolting together.  I released the straps and stood back to see the fruits of my labour:

I realise that I have shown loads of these photos before but this is the first that looks square, even and dare I say it, right.  I appreciate that the photos are hard to see subtleties on but it does look better, the chassis legs at the bottom look well spaced for example.







Both sides look similar and appropriate.  The lines along the top of the wing by the join with the shroud look even too, they were miles different before.


The body just looks better.  However, I am not without my challenges moving forward:

Both of the brackets for the lower front of the shroud look similar but the angles are not the same.


When one looks from above the front panel looks warped somewhat.  From the front this doesn't notice but it is there for sure.  I am confident that I can do something about that but what worries me is that when I take the shroud off, for painting for example, it will return to its original position and undo and of the repair work I do.  Will have to put some work into this.


 Also, the doors have moved alignment.  Now I realise that I should have sorted the front out before I did things like attach the doors but I couldn't wait for ever as well.  The off-side rear wing now sits a little low compared to the door but the swage line still lines up meaning that I am going to struggle to raise it.


The door gaps have shifted, and for the worse.



 Over all though it feels good to have made progress with this car.  It was a lovely day.

No comments:

Post a Comment