Tuesday 6 November 2012

Well I am having trouble uploading the videos so I will post some photos while I keep trying.

Following the two days I got in the garage I managed to sort out the rear shroud and replace the footwell outer panel. 


The shroud sits much better on the inner wings after I removed the near side inner wing and shaved about 1cm off the wheel arch and replaced the inner wing.  It still needs some minor adjustment but it is much better than it was before I had a go at it.  Feel pleased about that but conscious that until I fit the wings and doors I won't know if it is the correct place, still a step in the right direction.


Here you can see the near side section of the shroud and whilst it is sitting above the inner wing it does actually fit well when encouraged to do so.



Here the off side section is shown sitting really well on the inner wing. 



I spent the second day of half term replacing the outer footwell panel.


So, Tuesday night now and I'm in the garage and doing a typical repair job on my work bike which is stopping me working on the Healey.  I'm a little on the chubby side now so need the 8 mile cycle to work every day otherwise I'll be buying new clothes to keep my belly hidden.  It is only a puncture repair which doesn't take long but is seems that it is one thing after another that keeps me away from the car.



I have got most of the parts for the Healey at Mum's house in Norfolk because I don't have much storage space in London.  The only parts I have are one of the original doors fittings and the hinges are shown.  As I plan to fit the door hinge support posts next I figure it is a good time to get these out and ready.  I note that the left hand hinge is broken but am not convinced that it won't go again.  However, the broken hinge is also locked solid.  You can see some of the Healey Blue paint on these items which is the original colour and my favourite for the rebuilt car.  So I start by freeing up the right hand hinge and cleaning them both up.



Having cleaned the hinge I can see that they have brass bushes and a solid pin holding them together.  These pins are held in place by a punch mark.  I am not sure how this is possible as the bodies look like cast metal and that I would have thought is both hard and brittle.  At the moment I don't know how much the hinges cost or if I can buy the components individually.  So I'll have a look and decide if I should have a go at removing the pin to clean it up.  The other hinge has freed after a little lubrication.  Some thought is required.

I have been able to borrow my Mother in law's car to travel to Norfolk to get some of the parts that I need to move forward.  These are the second original door, the two new doors and the single rear wing that I bought on eBay and the shroud.  I need a pair of wings for the front and one for the rear and despite looking on eBay for the past 3 years I have failed to obtain them.  I have a few contacts to try and I have posted a wanted add to the owners club so I'll have to sit and wait.  In an ideal world I would like aluminium wings as the doors, shrouds and the off-side rear wing that I have are all aluminium.  It also doesn't rust, something that really appeals.  However, they are unbelievably expensive and I am not the Bank of England so old metal ones will have to do.  Mind you, the repair panels are expensive too so even this isn't going to be cost effective route.  Still, fingers crossed.


No comments:

Post a Comment