Thursday 1 November 2012

Hello,

I am a car enthusiast who has longed for an Austin Healey 100 since I went for a ride in one when I was 17, almost 30 years ago.  A chap in my road had a green 100 and I would take the dog for a walk and just stop and stare at the car, so much so that one day he came out to speak with me and took me for a ride in it with the roof off and screen laid flat.  I vividly remember feeling as if my smile was being extended from ear to ear by the wind.  I also remember us having to stop in Cockfosters because a short from one of the batteries caused a small fire.  I was in love with the 100 from that time.  Fast forward almost 30 years and I find myself rebuilding my very own 1954 100 BN1.  The only real issue is that it is taking ages.  3.5 years to date and I have got nowhere near far enough.  I bought the car in boxes from a chap in Southampton who realised he'd never get it done.


The 100 as seen in Southampton with the new chassis next to it (the guy had a garage to die for)
 
It came with a new chassis which he had galvanised and a engine that had been rebuilt.  I have no knowledge of who made the chassis or indeed if it is accurate or what had been done to the engine but couldn't resist the car and bought it.  That was 5 years ago and since then I spent a long time finishing the Luego Velocity kit car I was building so the Healey didn't actually get into my garage until April 09.


The 100 being transported to M&Ds for storage after the purchase


The 100 being transported back to London for the rebuild

 I started the work quite eagerly but I look back now and realise that I have been the master procrastinator consequently I have decided to create this blog with the aim of keeping me focused on the task in hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment