Saturday 2 June 2018

It's Saturday night and I'm in garden having a beer whilst wondering where the week went?  I'm also a little disappointed that I didn't take any pictures of the Orchard Restoration Open Day today.  Well that isn't actually correct as I took loads of the engine bays of 2 Healey 100 cars that were there and kindly had their bonnets up.  There were lots of 3000's as is usual but the 2 100 cars were very helpful.

It was a lovely day out.  A good drive into the depths of Sussex and a few hours talking geeky shop with Healey owners.  It was nice to see the engine bay and realise that they are pretty simple, I really shouldn't have that many issues, famous last words.

I did get some time in the garage and started by cleaning it up a bit.

Before 


 After

Whilst cleaning up stuff I cleared out the rear of the car and tried the tyre into the space for the spare wheel and was delighted to see that it fitted nicely.  One day there will be a lovely shiny spare in there.




The tank in it's final resting place complete with a rubber strip on the underside to prevent metal to metal contact.  I went to the local plumbers this morning and realise that I need to do a little soldering on the tank outlet pipe to get the thing plumbed in, two steps forward and one step back!




I started work on the throttle linkage and rubbed down and painted the rods and then striped and cleaned these lovely looking rod ends.  It was a very nice thing to do.




Started cleaning up the brackets that I have collected for the engine bay and came across this item which attaches on the front of the glovebox tray and then I presume just loops over the inner body work.  Can it just do that?  I mean, no bolts or screws at all?  Feels wild.






I have trial fitted the throttle assembly a few times and am about to go  for it properly tomorrow now that everything in painted.  However, I have been conscious for some time that the rods go very close to the engine so it would surely make sense to fit it after the engine was installed.  Today at the Orchard open day I took this photo which shows how close the rod goes to the engine and made me convinced that I should install it after the engine is in.











I noticed that this Healey had the shroud riveted to the inner bodywork, something for me to pay attention to when I am at that stage as I had no idea it went that way

No comments:

Post a Comment