Thursday 24 August 2017

Birthday boy and the route forward

So this teacher is back from his summer excursions and ready for the next steps.  Whilst away I got to think about the 100 and what I needed to do next which is good as I feel energised for the challenges that await.  I also had a birthday, not a major milestone you understand but a regular getting older but still young enough to live life one.  So you can imagine my delight when I discovered that my Mother in law kindly bought me a new dashboard and wiring loom.  There a few issues with the delivery of the working loom (#itslostonroute) but I'm confident that A-Head 4 Healey's will remedy that.  However this is what it means and how my plan looks:

Before school starts in anger a week on Monday I will  fabricate and fit the battery tray mount, brake cable bracket and the panhard rod bracket before painting them.  Then I can begin the big mechanical install.  I have all the major parts to go from bare chassis to rolling chassis and I am very excited.

I will start with the rear suspension / axel which is already restored and has been previously installed.  Then I will fit the front suspension and steering for which I have all the major components but they need a overhaul.  Then I will fit the engine / gearbox.  The engine has been rebuilt by the previous owner (this was one of the major attractions of the project when I bought it) and the gearbox looks sound.  Then the wiring loom.  Then the dash and the gauges.

Then I turn the key, it starts and I post a little video of me driving the car up and down the lane at the back of my house.  OK, I may be getting ahead of myself here.  However, I have got most of the components I need to get to that stage.  Or rather, I have got all of the expensive components I need to get there.  I will need to buy stuff for the steering, the odd bracket, petrol pipes, electrical switches, a few parts for the brakes and so on but I will be able to do that as I go.  The next really expensive thing I need is a set of tyres and they are not cheap but I have a long while to save for them.

In other words I have no financial barriers for the foreseeable future and I like it that way.

Happy times





No comments:

Post a Comment