Sunday 23 October 2016

Yesterday I got the puller from my pal and started to attack the shroud.  Being aluminium it moved easily and after a lot of crashing and banging I stuck the wings on and took a step back.  I liked what I saw.  The wings line up reasonably well along the length of the car, the door gaps are ok, the wheels look equally set back in the arches.  It feels like I should move on.

This feels odd.  I should feel elated but I actually feel a little confused, as if I can't quite believe it is time to make some progress.

Today, after a trip into central London on the Thruxton and a posh breakfast at the posh biker hang out in Shoreditch (a trendy party of London that used to be run down but is now rejuvenated and hip) I got back in to the garage.  I started by putting the inner wings on the car again.  This time they sat nicely on both sides.  I can't quite believe it.

I do have some issues to worry over though.  The shroud is very tatty in places and needs lots of welding.  I can't decide if I should take the shroud to somebody professional and let them work their magic or if I should learn how to weld aluminium, buy the equipment needed and do it myself.  In the long run it would be better if I could weld aluminium but the equipment alone will be £600 plus if I get it from the main man in America.  I could possibly buy something similar in the UK but after an afternoon sat on the sofa whilst surfing I am no nearer finding somebody that could supply the required stuff.  Decisions, decisions.  I am going to weld the inner wings on and then start the lovely job of welding the car up properly, something I have dreamed of for years, lovely, bloody fantastic.


No comments:

Post a Comment