Sunday 8 November 2015

It feels odd being in the garage at the moment as I am largely faffing about with bits of mechanical stuff that I haven't as yet touched.  On one hand it is really interesting to be doing different things and it is nicely challenging and interesting.  Yet on the other hand it has the potential to be largely frustrating.  I ordered all the bits I need to put the axel together and realised that I had missed a felt washer so was unable to do it.  I ordered this and Ahead 4 Healeys shipped it very quickly only to discover that the nut and bolt set I had bought a year or so ago didn't have the nuts required to fit the wheel cylinder.  I checked with two sources and then ordered BSF nuts from Mamrick only to get them and discover that they are UNF, arrggggghhhhhh.  I had also ordered a set of tap and die in Whitworth before realising that it should have been BSF and then to discover that it should have been UNF.  Basically I am doing a small fortune on nuts, bolts, taps and dies and my axel is still in bits.

Having said that though I am quite chilled about it.  I suspect that this is going to be the territory for the mechanics and if I get stressed then I am going to end up unhappy and that seems daft.

In between the stuff I mentioned above I renovated the brake drums and because I decided to use heat compliant paint from POR15 I got the front wishbones out of storage to renovate those drums to ensure the paint looked the same for the front and the back.




















I have decided to leave the rest of the front suspension set up well alone for now as I am not sure what to do with regards to the king pin set up.









































The drums look pretty funky though.








































The solver bits flying around are the rear brake pad adjusters after a quick paint (for corrosion protection before the car is back together).







































I sent this picture to AH4Healeys to check that I had the correct seal for the front of the differential.  They said that I had and that they were made in a more robust way back in the day.  I went to out the diff back together and realised that the shims I had were the wrong size, the diameter was very different, so another thing to go back and wait on, ho hum.

So having realised that I am waiting on the postman I returned to the front wing and did my final bits of panel beating. Trust me, this was just beating.  Anyway, the result was good so I took the wing off and outside for a sandblast prior to a de-rust session and then paint.  I eventually got the new sandblaster working well and was halfway through the job when it started raining.  Oh well.

Another issue is that I have discovered that the sand blasting gets fine grit/sand/dust everywhere and because I don't have anywhere to store stuff I have had to clean the diff out with a jet wash and loads of degreaser.  Even when I sandblast outside the garage still has a fine layer of dust all over it.  Must try harder....




No comments:

Post a Comment