Sunday 30 August 2015

So I naturally reviewed the wing after I had taken the section out and decided that I still had work to do on  section above the aperture for the chrome trim which still had a bow on it.  Did a little cutting and welding and that is now better.

Last Monday I visited John from the 100 Register fame to collect my petrol gauge which he has restored for me, it looks lovely:









































I then had a discussion with John about the parts I may need before the restoration is complete and we got round to the rear axel.  Now as I have this in my garage as apposed to in my Mother in-law's shed (thanks Avril, still grateful) I was quiet keen to discuss it with him.  He reviewed with me the parts that some times get worn and what I need to look out for.  So I got the axel out and was quite conscious of the state it was in:






So I set about it with with a scraper, some petrol and a wire brush and by the time Spurs were on TV it looked like this:



This afternoon I started the strip down and discovered that apart from a few insects the inside of the drive side of the brake drum was in surprisingly good condition.  The half shaft was perfect and many of the brake components were too.






































You can see the half shaft sticking up in the air on the photo below in addition to the wheel bearing which is now exposed.  The eight sided nut that holds the wheel bearing / hub together is showing signs of treatment which suggest that previous mechanics didn't have the correct tools; in other words it has been chiseled to near death.
All the pistons in the brake cylinder are locked solid which may present a challenge but they are quite cheap so it should be manageable.













No comments:

Post a Comment