Sunday 13 January 2013


Sunday and a few hours to work on the Healey's rear end.  I had planned to work from the front backwards so I should be doing the posts that the door hinges mount on first but I am a little fixated on the fact that the rear shroud doesn't fit perfectly.  I think I know why now that I have removed it to fit the rear wings.  The return edges have been replaced and the welds were not cleaned particularly thoroughly so I think some of the welds are interfering with the inner wings.  So I start by getting the grinder out and grinding for what seems like ages, my ears were ringing.  A coffee break was needed. Back in the garage and the shroud fits perfectly.  Seems too good to be true.
Now I fit the wings and this is a little more involved than it should be because the shroud returns haven't got any holes in them.  Once sorted I fit the wings and then get the doors out of storage.  Now I have never looked at the doors since I bought them, which as I pull them out of the cardboard wrapping seems a little odd.  They are ok though, some of the corners are bent but I guess that could have happened since I have owned them.  The important part is that they fit, well of sorts.  The gap between the front and rear wings is a little tight on the off-side but pretty good on the near-side.  More importantly the swage lines seem to be ok.  Don't misunderstand me, there will be loads to do to get them fitted properly but I am confident that I can get there now which is very exciting.
Next step is to fix the hinge panels and have a proper go at mounting the doors.  I noticed that the doors do not have any holes for the mountings screws, that'll be nervy sorting that out.

No comments:

Post a Comment