Saturday 4 March 2017

I started the day by going to Barnet Welding supplies to get a new gas bottle for the MIG.  I used to use a friends BOC account but they gave it up so now I am buying (or renting) the gas bottle and from here on in I only need to pay for the gas refill.  This is what I do for the Oxy-Acetelene bottles and it saved me massive amounts of money however, the first purchase is expensive.  My car fund account is wiped out, again.  I have put the old BOC bottle on eBay and an old ali bonnet that I am not going to use, I may get all of £10 for the two.

I finished off removing the gauges and switches from the dash.  I know I'm not using the dash but I need to use it to work out where the mounts are welded.  I don't think the windscreen washer was a standard feature on the BN1 but the pump looks lovely, I hope I can restore it and re-use it.  The switches were delightfully detailed and well made, from a bygone age.  The barrel lock for the ignition looked somewhat butchered with a great bolt hanging out of the back of it.  However, on further inspection the thread for that bolt was lovely but the other one was ruined.









I had a go at cleaning up the main gauges and am pleased with them, they look beautiful.  I have no idea if they work but the pin hanging out of the speedo did actually zero the gauge.  The pointer on the speedo is a little tired but I like the look so it will stay as it is. 








I then removed the handle and, despite a lot of rust removal treatment and cleaning, it broke.  I guess it is a little too tired though.






I did actually do some welding after al that fun.  I installed the walls for the area that holds the battery cut off switch.  








No comments:

Post a Comment