Sunday 20 December 2015

The Christmas holidays are here, a great time to be a teacher.  Over the past few weeks I have finished getting the boot floor to fit correctly, de-rusted it and painted it in the usual weld-thru primer. Today it was sufficiently dry to enable me to get the car out and fit the front near side wing back on.  I am a little perplexed by the door gaps which are all different again.  I am going to have fun when I eventually get round to fitting them for the final time once painted.  Anyway, I am comfortable that the floor doesn't distort the back end any so will weld it up in the next few days.  I know I have shown these before but it really is starting to look like a car:
























I then got round to trying to fit the metal bushes that the rear leaf spring mounts on to.  It is a bit of an odd one; solid metal with grooves cut into the inner surface for grease to lubricate.  Not sure why they didn't use rubber bushes like they have elsewhere.  Anyway, they don't fit.  I think this is mainly due to the zinc plating and so I got the Dremel out and started to sand the internal aperture.  They almost fit now but I suspect that they need to be a tight fit to avoid any play so I will investigate and sand further later on if needed.

I then took the original section apart to see if I can re-use any of the original parts, don't think I can really.  One of the link arms is ok but the other is worn severely so it makes sense to replace them as a pair.  Note the bushes in the photo below; the original items are fused to the chassis .  Note also the new grease nipple which extends downwards.  If you look at the bottom photo you can see that the holes have been drilled at the wrong angle, flippineck!  I have  choice, I can weld up the holes in the chassis for the grease nipple and drill and tap a new one at a better angle or I can fit the grease nipple and bend it down.  Will think on that over night.





No comments:

Post a Comment