Tuesday 25 February 2014

Tuesday night and in the garage, must be the half term holiday hang over, long may it last.

I continued with the wing and realised that for the wheel arch to line up the front edge of the wing was miles out so took some decisive action:


Yep, it was out with the angle grinder and a section cut out of the original wing.  Now I should say that I did measure the section and then mark it with a ruler and a tip-ex pen but I must have been a bit trigger happy with the grinder as the cut is very wonky, oops.  You can see that the front edge of the wing juts out from the B post; it is this that is taken care of when the front edge is pushed back to close the gap up.



I welded the gap up and then welded the repair section to the wing.  Only a few tack welds at this stage as I really need to look at the lines of the wheel arch and swage line from more of a distance.  In the photo above, the swage line looks reasonable but below the line looks a little high.  The door shape at the top is also visible but I am not too troubled by that now as I'm sure a little lead work will take care of it.  You can also see that the front return edge of the original wing is a little sharper than the repair section, I will need to do something about that as it is quite noticeable.  The door gaps are great, on all edges which is pleasing and the swage line along the whole length of the car is remarkably good too.



No comments:

Post a Comment