Sunday 6 September 2020

It's been a few weeks since I got the car on the road and it is fair to say that it has been an eventful journey.

I decided to do some routine checks on the car after two drives totalling 20 miles when I discovered that the oil was completely emulsified.  It looked like a coffee frappe.  I was devastated.  I had replaced the gasket a year back when I first got it running as I had an issue with water coming up one of the studs and bubbling out of the nut and washer so I knew it wasn't the cylinder head gasket.  I contacted John who offered to lend me his tools to test pressure and compression which showed what I suspected all along, the head was knackered.  I took the head off, using an engine hoist as it is so damn heavy, and discovered this lot.





One doesn't need to see that much water in the cylinders to know something is seriously wrong.

I have spent a lot of money, well in teacher terms that is, over the past month getting the car to the final stage and I didn't have any left to spend.  My wife suggested we cash in our rainy day fund and get the job done properly and that meant it had to be an aluminium head from Denis Welch Motorsport.  I spent a few days contemplating selling the motorbike and then relented and ordered it.  A few days later I had been to the factory and collected it.  

It is a very impressive thing and I enjoyed installing it with the slight exception being that I thought I had over tightened two of the heavy duty studs.  Oh, and despite all the evidence I was still worried that I had got it wrong and the head was ok and it was in fact something else.




I got it running and then took it for series of short drives all of which went without the oil getting emulsified or the engine overheating.  I am mighty relieved but not yet completely relaxed about it.

I found out that the front wheels were a little loose which I thought caused the steering to be a little wayward.




No comments:

Post a Comment