Tuesday 12 November 2013

Took a sneaky hour or so in the garage and cut off the bottom of the near side wing.  Started to line up the replacement section then got distracted by trying the sill on to realise that the door is a little twisted or just plain bent, either way it was enough to cause me to put down the hammer and scarper for the sofa.


I noticed that the lower section of the wing left after the rotten section was removed was rather bumpy and realised that it must have been filled with lead.  I took the Oxy-Actelene to it and the lead fell to the floor.  I can only presume that this repair was done whilst the car was new because the wing was very deformed and any panel beater would have been able to get it flatter than it was unless they couldn't be bothered to remove the wing to do it.  And in that case it would have been a cheap/fast repair and therefore unlikely to be done with lead, unless of course it was done in the days before modern filler was widely used?  Just in case you have a moment to ponder the likely causes of lead use.  I might put a lead kit on my Christmas list as a result though.  Talking of Christmas, do you like the look of Santa Paws?



I was pleased to get into the garage on a Tuesday as work is back to its most demanding and I don't want to leave the car to weekends only.


Until next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment