Thursday 31 October 2013

So, I re-read the old posts and realise that I haven't made loads of progress but I have been enjoying what I have done.  I came back to the off-side A post and after a several attempts got it in a position that I am happy enough with.  I went to the Orchard Restorations open day before the summer and whilst I enjoyed going there with my wife and the dog I didn't see any 100's in the workshop.


Orchard Restorations open day


We also went to the Rawles Motorsport day and there were no 100's being worked on there either.  I have been very lucky so far in that those open days that I have attended over the years have had 100's being worked on in the workshops which has meant that I have been able to take measurements and make notes etc.  What I did note though was that the lines on the 100's in the car park were a little wayward.  The swage line was good on all cars but if one looked from the rear then the wings and doors tend to be a bit wavy.  This was a bit of a relief as I had been fighting to get mine perfect and it was just driving me mad but I now realise that where I am at with my BN1 is quite normal.  Hence I have moved on from the A post on the off side.




The above photos show the A post in place.  So I moved on to the wing, cut off the wrecked bottom section and welded on the repair:

This is what happens when teachers go on strike
I had to flatten the rear return to extend the panel from the BN2 dimensions to the BN1 size required. I needed to add an additional section in for the bottom corner.

Trial fitting the wing
When I bent over the extra metal to create the rear edge of the wing I got it miles out.  I was surprised as the edge was straight on the bench!  anyway, I fitted it on the car and was horrified to see how far out I was so I had to open the return out and reform it.

The edge after the first reforming process
The above photo shows that the second attempt was still out so I decided that I needed a beer to recoup my energy before having another go.

Once I have this sorted I intend to have a go at the rear wing which will need a lot of modifying then it is over to the near side to repeat the whole process, could take a while.  All in all it feels good to be getting on with it again.


No comments:

Post a Comment